Since the 13th century, the month of May has been traditionally dedicated in a special way to honoring and seeking the intercession of Mary as the Mother of God and Mother of the Church.
In his poem The May Magnificat, Gerard Manley Hopkins begins by asking why this is so?
May is Mary’s month, and I
Muse at that and wonder why:
Her feasts follow reason,
Dated due to season—
Candlemas, Lady Day;
But the Lady Month, May,
Why fasten that upon her,
With a feasting in her honour?
He reflects that May is the month when nature’s beauty is at its height. Fecundity is everywhere; in the lushness of the greens, the beauty of the flowers and the new life in many species. All this reflects Mary’s gift to the world in her ‘YES’ to the incarnation of Christ, the second person of the Blessed Trinity in her womb.
The last day of May, the 31st, celebrates the feast of the Visitation, which commemorates the pregnant Mary’s visit to her pregnant cousin Elizabeth during which she sings her ‘Magnificat’ celebrating God’s mercy, strength, and care for those on the margins. As we enjoy this new spring weather, let us to sing with Mary in praise of Christ’s Incarnation in all of creation.
Sister Rosemary Fry
Previous Wisdom Wednesdays
- May 18, 2022: Oneness with All
- May 11, 2022: On Motherhood
- May 4, 2022: On Vocation
- April 27, 2022: To Be Vulnerable
- April 20, 2022: The Waiting
- April 13, 2022: Triumph in the Face of Evil
- April 6, 2022: An Invitation to Compassion
- March 30, 2022: Follow the Journey of Jesus
- March 23, 2022: Three Questions
- March 16, 2022: Preparing for the Future
- March 9, 2022: What is God Saying?
- March 2, 2022: Ash Wednesday
- February 23, 2022: Living Fully in the Present
- February 16, 2022: How Can I Not Judge?
- February 9, 2022: Centers of Care:
- January 26, 2022: A New Soul
- January 19, 2022: Pray for Unity
- January 12, 2022: Have You Heard the Voice of God?
- January 5, 2022: Epiphany
- November 3, 2021: Fallen Leaves and Saints
- October 20, 2021: All Saints Day & All Souls Day
- October 13, 2021: Blackwater Pond
- October 6, 2021: Death is Not Forever
- September 29, 2021: In Nature
- September 22, 2021: Sleeping in the Forest
- September 15, 2021: Season of Creation
- September 8, 2021: A Sharp Turn in Our Journey
- August 11, 2021: An Invitation From Jesus
- July 21, 2021: Cannonball Moments
- July 14, 2021: Consolation and Desolation
- July 7, 2021: Who is This God You Seek to Serve?
- June 30, 2021: Praying with the Gospel Stories
- June 23, 2021: Walking the Path of Life
- June 16, 2021: A Saint for Strong Willed People
- June 9, 2021: God's Flowing Love
- June 2, 2021: I Will Not Leave You Comfortless
- May 26, 2021: Celebrating Our Beginnings
- May 19, 2021: Before the Cannon Struck
- May 12, 2021: The Fruit of Jesus
- May 5, 2021: A Branch of Jesus
- April 28, 2021: Living One Day at a Time
- April 21, 2021: The Blessing of Pope Francis