At the beginning of today’s Gospel reading, we find Jesus again going about his healing mission. Throughout the Gospels we see Jesus heal the sick, raise the dead, forgive sinners, be compassionate to the poor, love everyone (especially the outcasts), and speak out against all forms of evil. In our following of him, we are called to be present in the public square and to do these same deeds.
But again, there is a sense of impending doom. The Jewish authorities who see Jesus as a threat to their power are seeking to kill him. They are offended by his references to God as his Father, ‘making himself equal to God’. This, however, as Jesus makes very clear, is who exactly who he is, in his identity, his life and his mission.
He and the Father are one, totally united in love and all that he does comes from the Father. The deeds of Jesus are the deeds of the Father. Through Jesus life and actions we meet a God whose loving tenderness and mercy reaches out to all with special attention to the weakest and most vulnerable.
As followers of Jesus, this is our baptismal mission as well. The power of the Spirit acting in and through us makes it possible for us to live in imitation of Jesus and be in the world as God calls us to be.
Let’s say yes without counting the cost!
Sister Rosemary Fry
Previous Wisdom Wednesdays
- March 23, 2022: Three Questions
- March 16, 2022: Preparing for the Future
- March 9, 2022: What is God Saying?
- March 2, 2022: Ash Wednesday
- February 23, 2022: Living Fully in the Present
- February 16, 2022: How Can I Not Judge?
- February 9, 2022: Centers of Care:
- January 26, 2022: A New Soul
- January 19, 2022: Pray for Unity
- January 12, 2022: Have You Heard the Voice of God?
- January 5, 2022: Epiphany
- November 3, 2021: Fallen Leaves and Saints
- October 20, 2021: All Saints Day & All Souls Day
- October 13, 2021: Blackwater Pond
- October 6, 2021: Death is Not Forever
- September 29, 2021: In Nature
- September 22, 2021: Sleeping in the Forest
- September 15, 2021: Season of Creation
- September 8, 2021: A Sharp Turn in Our Journey
- August 11, 2021: An Invitation From Jesus
- July 21, 2021: Cannonball Moments
- July 14, 2021: Consolation and Desolation
- July 7, 2021: Who is This God You Seek to Serve?
- June 30, 2021: Praying with the Gospel Stories
- June 23, 2021: Walking the Path of Life
- June 16, 2021: A Saint for Strong Willed People
- June 9, 2021: God's Flowing Love
- June 2, 2021: I Will Not Leave You Comfortless
- May 26, 2021: Celebrating Our Beginnings
- May 19, 2021: Before the Cannon Struck
- May 12, 2021: The Fruit of Jesus
- May 5, 2021: A Branch of Jesus
- April 28, 2021: Living One Day at a Time
- April 21, 2021: The Blessing of Pope Francis