November always comes to me as the month of fallen leaves and saints.
Our parish puts out a book into which parishioners are invited to write the names of loved ones they wish remembered during the services of the month.
With fidelity, each year, I enter the names of my brother and parents and those friends who have recently died.
I am going to church with distancing and masking.
We are still dealing with a pandemic.
We have celebrated our 170th anniversary since coming to Toronto.
Those early days are on my mind.
Sister Alphonsus Margerum died of typhus fever in 1855,
during the epidemic of that time,
while working to expand the Catholic schools in Hamilton.
Sister Delphine Fontbonne,
contracted cholera and died,
while caring for a poor, Irish, immigrant woman with fever.
I could write a whole litany with the names of the young Irish Sisters who came as immigrants to our city, chose to become Sisters of St Joseph and died in their twenties while caring for their people.
Many died from hard work,
not enough rest or food, and “consumption” or tuberculosis,
which was rampant among the poor of the time.
Remembering the courage and generosity of these women
and so many more
causes me to ask:
What is mine to do
during this time
of pandemic in 2021?
The answer comes in the stillness of prayer.
Open the door of your heart
to the suffering around you,
to the ill,
Open your heart and hold them.
Hold them in the Heart of Loving Mystery.
Sister Rosemary Fry
Previous Wisdom Wednesdays
- October 20, 2021: All Saints Day & All Souls Day
- October 13, 2021: Blackwater Pond
- October 6, 2021: Death is Not Forever
- September 29, 2021: In Nature
- September 22, 2021: Sleeping in the Forest
- September 15, 2021: Season of Creation
- September 8, 2021: A Sharp Turn in Our Journey
- August 11, 2021: An Invitation From Jesus
- July 21, 2021: Cannonball Moments
- July 14, 2021: Consolation and Desolation
- July 7, 2021: Who is This God You Seek to Serve?
- June 30, 2021: Praying with the Gospel Stories
- June 23, 2021: Walking the Path of Life
- June 16, 2021: A Saint for Strong Willed People
- June 9, 2021: God's Flowing Love
- June 2, 2021: I Will Not Leave You Comfortless
- May 26, 2021: Celebrating Our Beginnings
- May 19, 2021: Before the Cannon Struck
- May 12, 2021: The Fruit of Jesus
- May 5, 2021: A Branch of Jesus
- April 28, 2021: Living One Day at a Time
- April 21, 2021: The Blessing of Pope Francis