The Season of Creation from September 1 until October 4, the Feast of St. Francis, is an ecumenical celebration of the beauty and diversity of the created world. This celebration contains with in it an invitation to grow in deeper love of all of creation.
When we love something, we care for it!
The other night, I was trying to think of an example of caring more carefully for something I really loved. Now, this example may seem very materialistic to you, but it was the one that came to me.
I imagined that I owned a kitten soft,
I held its softness against my cheek
before slipping it over my head.
I cherished the feel of it against my arms.
I was especially careful not to spill anything on it.
I kept it neatly folded in tissue paper in my drawer,
with moth balls,
just in case a moth was tempted.
When it needed a wash,
I read the directions assiduously.
I bought special cold water soap and rinse for the procedure;
treating it to a special, by hand, wash.
I carefully placed it to dry
on a large fat towel
before it returned to my drawer
and its nest of tissue paper.
You get the idea!
When we love something, it is special for us. We treasure it, preserve it and care for it with exquisite delicacy.
Use each day during the Season of Creation to fall more deeply in love with the world around you.
Sister Rosemary Fry
Previous Wisdom Wednesdays
- September 8, 2021: A Sharp Turn in Our Journey
- August 11, 2021: An Invitation From Jesus
- July 21, 2021: Cannonball Moments
- July 14, 2021: Consolation and Desolation
- July 7, 2021: Who is This God You Seek to Serve?
- June 30, 2021: Praying with the Gospel Stories
- June 23, 2021: Walking the Path of Life
- June 16, 2021: A Saint for Strong Willed People
- June 9, 2021: God's Flowing Love
- June 2, 2021: I Will Not Leave You Comfortless
- May 26, 2021: Celebrating Our Beginnings
- May 19, 2021: Before the Cannon Struck
- May 12, 2021: The Fruit of Jesus
- May 5, 2021: A Branch of Jesus
- April 28, 2021: Living One Day at a Time
- April 21, 2021: The Blessing of Pope Francis