Today’s entrance antiphon, adapted from Psalm 24, led me straight to some Old Testament scripture passages that I revisit often.
With it, we pray: “Remember your compassion, O Lord. And your merciful love, for they are from old. Let not our enemies exult over us. Redeem us O God of Israel, from all our distress.”
Jeremiah on the whole was a crotchety, lugubrious prophet. However, he has given us one of the most well-known statements of God’s loving care for us. In the Book of Jeremiah 31 v.3 -5, he has God telling us:
"I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you to me with unfailing kindness. I will build you up again, and you, Virgin Israel, will be rebuilt. Again you will take up your timbrels and go out to dance with the joyful."
Another prophet, Hosea, saw the love had God for Israel as the reason they were chosen. In Hosea 11:1-4, we hear God saying with great tenderness:
"When Israel was a child, I loved him… and out of Egypt I called my son. It was I who taught Ephraim to walk, I took them up in my arms; but they did not know that I healed them. I led them with cords of human kindness, with bands of love. I was to them like those who lift infants to their cheeks. I bent down to them and fed them."
How about this Lent we take some time to slow down and listen to God saying to us:
"When you were a child I loved you. It was I who taught you to walk. I took you up in my arms. I have led you with cords of human kindness, with bands of love. I have lifted you and held you in my arms, against my cheek. I have bent down to you and fed you."
Are we able to let our God express loving care for us in this way?
Sister Rosemary Fry
Previous Wisdom Wednesdays
- March 2, 2022: Ash Wednesday
- February 23, 2022: Living Fully in the Present
- February 16, 2022: How Can I Not Judge?
- February 9, 2022: Centers of Care:
- January 26, 2022: A New Soul
- January 19, 2022: Pray for Unity
- January 12, 2022: Have You Heard the Voice of God?
- January 5, 2022: Epiphany
- November 3, 2021: Fallen Leaves and Saints
- October 20, 2021: All Saints Day & All Souls Day
- October 13, 2021: Blackwater Pond
- October 6, 2021: Death is Not Forever
- September 29, 2021: In Nature
- September 22, 2021: Sleeping in the Forest
- September 15, 2021: Season of Creation
- September 8, 2021: A Sharp Turn in Our Journey
- August 11, 2021: An Invitation From Jesus
- July 21, 2021: Cannonball Moments
- July 14, 2021: Consolation and Desolation
- July 7, 2021: Who is This God You Seek to Serve?
- June 30, 2021: Praying with the Gospel Stories
- June 23, 2021: Walking the Path of Life
- June 16, 2021: A Saint for Strong Willed People
- June 9, 2021: God's Flowing Love
- June 2, 2021: I Will Not Leave You Comfortless
- May 26, 2021: Celebrating Our Beginnings
- May 19, 2021: Before the Cannon Struck
- May 12, 2021: The Fruit of Jesus
- May 5, 2021: A Branch of Jesus
- April 28, 2021: Living One Day at a Time
- April 21, 2021: The Blessing of Pope Francis