To unite with one another,
we must love one another;
to love one another,
we must know one another;
to know one another,
we must go and meet one another.
Cardinal Mercier, a Belgian Thomistic scholar, famous for his support of the Belgian resistance during the First Word War wrote these words in his Testament. They are often quoted during this Week of Prayer for Christian Unity celebrated between the Feasts of St Peter and St Paul (January 18 – 25).
During this international and ecumenical week of prayer, Christians around the world join in praying for the fulfillment of Jesus' prayer at the Last Supper "that they all may be one." (John 17:21)
The aims of this week of prayer for unity fit so well with desire of Pope Francis; that we grow in listening to one another, accepting one another in all our diversity, and encouraging all, especially those on the margins, to participate in the life of the Church.
The best way to do this, as Cardinal Mercier says so well, is to grow in knowledge and love of one another.
Who will you reach out to meet and listen to during this Week of Prayer for Christian Unity?
Sister Rosemary Fry
Previous Wisdom Wednesdays
- January 12, 2022: Have You Heard the Voice of God?
- January 5, 2022: Epiphany
- November 3, 2021: Fallen Leaves and Saints
- October 20, 2021: All Saints Day & All Souls Day
- October 13, 2021: Blackwater Pond
- October 6, 2021: Death is Not Forever
- September 29, 2021: In Nature
- September 22, 2021: Sleeping in the Forest
- September 15, 2021: Season of Creation
- September 8, 2021: A Sharp Turn in Our Journey
- August 11, 2021: An Invitation From Jesus
- July 21, 2021: Cannonball Moments
- July 14, 2021: Consolation and Desolation
- July 7, 2021: Who is This God You Seek to Serve?
- June 30, 2021: Praying with the Gospel Stories
- June 23, 2021: Walking the Path of Life
- June 16, 2021: A Saint for Strong Willed People
- June 9, 2021: God's Flowing Love
- June 2, 2021: I Will Not Leave You Comfortless
- May 26, 2021: Celebrating Our Beginnings
- May 19, 2021: Before the Cannon Struck
- May 12, 2021: The Fruit of Jesus
- May 5, 2021: A Branch of Jesus
- April 28, 2021: Living One Day at a Time
- April 21, 2021: The Blessing of Pope Francis