Sunday, May 8 is Vocation Sunday. This day in the Universal Church celebrates the fact that each and every person has been created by a Loving Divine Mystery with gifts and talents suitable for a specific purpose and way of life. Through the sacrament of Baptism, every person is invited to live their life as a unique journey recognizing and using their particular God-given gifts in the service of others.
The word vocation comes from the Latin verb vocare meaning to call. Thomas Merton offers us some wise words about this idea of having "a calling" in life.
"Vocation does not come from a voice out there calling me to be something I am not. It comes from a voice in here calling me to be the person I was born to be, to fulfill the original self-hood given me at birth by God."
Search for and recognize your gifts.
And then as you experiment with their use, look for joy. Dorothy Day wrote, “You will know your vocation by the joy that it brings you.”
We have each been given our own unique gift of life and Jesus has told us, "Abide in my Love… I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete." Jn.15
Enjoy yourself as you transform your God-given life and His special gifts into living joy!
Sister Rosemary Fry
Previous Wisdom Wednesdays
- April 27, 2022: To Be Vulnerable
- April 20, 2022: The Waiting
- April 13, 2022: Triumph in the Face of Evil
- April 6, 2022: An Invitation to Compassion
- March 30, 2022: Follow the Journey of Jesus
- March 23, 2022: Three Questions
- March 16, 2022: Preparing for the Future
- March 9, 2022: What is God Saying?
- March 2, 2022: Ash Wednesday
- February 23, 2022: Living Fully in the Present
- February 16, 2022: How Can I Not Judge?
- February 9, 2022: Centers of Care:
- January 26, 2022: A New Soul
- January 19, 2022: Pray for Unity
- January 12, 2022: Have You Heard the Voice of God?
- January 5, 2022: Epiphany
- November 3, 2021: Fallen Leaves and Saints
- October 20, 2021: All Saints Day & All Souls Day
- October 13, 2021: Blackwater Pond
- October 6, 2021: Death is Not Forever
- September 29, 2021: In Nature
- September 22, 2021: Sleeping in the Forest
- September 15, 2021: Season of Creation
- September 8, 2021: A Sharp Turn in Our Journey
- August 11, 2021: An Invitation From Jesus
- July 21, 2021: Cannonball Moments
- July 14, 2021: Consolation and Desolation
- July 7, 2021: Who is This God You Seek to Serve?
- June 30, 2021: Praying with the Gospel Stories
- June 23, 2021: Walking the Path of Life
- June 16, 2021: A Saint for Strong Willed People
- June 9, 2021: God's Flowing Love
- June 2, 2021: I Will Not Leave You Comfortless
- May 26, 2021: Celebrating Our Beginnings
- May 19, 2021: Before the Cannon Struck
- May 12, 2021: The Fruit of Jesus
- May 5, 2021: A Branch of Jesus
- April 28, 2021: Living One Day at a Time
- April 21, 2021: The Blessing of Pope Francis