Last Sunday, on Good Shepherd Sunday, we celebrated the World Day of Prayer for Vocations. Coincidentally this year it was also Mothers Day; the day we recognize, in a special way, women who encompass all the qualities of motherhood: all the moms, grandmothers, stepmoms, and mothers-to-be in our world.
Pope John Paul II made the importance of the vocation of motherhood quite clear:
“Motherhood is a woman’s vocation. It is an eternal vocation, and it is also a contemporary vocation… We must do everything in order that woman may merit love and veneration. We must do everything in order that children, the family and society may see in her that dignity that Christ saw.”
In this time of COVID and the war in the Ukraine, we must be especially aware of the suffering of mothers who see their child ill or wounded, disappeared or lost.
So many mothers in both the Ukraine and Russia and throughout so many places in our world have lost their child to violence. Let us stand with these women and hold their pain in our hearts as we remember and honour them.
Sister Rosemary Fry
Previous Wisdom Wednesdays
- May 4, 2022: On Vocation
- April 27, 2022: To Be Vulnerable
- April 20, 2022: The Waiting
- April 13, 2022: Triumph in the Face of Evil
- April 6, 2022: An Invitation to Compassion
- March 30, 2022: Follow the Journey of Jesus
- March 23, 2022: Three Questions
- March 16, 2022: Preparing for the Future
- March 9, 2022: What is God Saying?
- March 2, 2022: Ash Wednesday
- February 23, 2022: Living Fully in the Present
- February 16, 2022: How Can I Not Judge?
- February 9, 2022: Centers of Care:
- January 26, 2022: A New Soul
- January 19, 2022: Pray for Unity
- January 12, 2022: Have You Heard the Voice of God?
- January 5, 2022: Epiphany
- November 3, 2021: Fallen Leaves and Saints
- October 20, 2021: All Saints Day & All Souls Day
- October 13, 2021: Blackwater Pond
- October 6, 2021: Death is Not Forever
- September 29, 2021: In Nature
- September 22, 2021: Sleeping in the Forest
- September 15, 2021: Season of Creation
- September 8, 2021: A Sharp Turn in Our Journey
- August 11, 2021: An Invitation From Jesus
- July 21, 2021: Cannonball Moments
- July 14, 2021: Consolation and Desolation
- July 7, 2021: Who is This God You Seek to Serve?
- June 30, 2021: Praying with the Gospel Stories
- June 23, 2021: Walking the Path of Life
- June 16, 2021: A Saint for Strong Willed People
- June 9, 2021: God's Flowing Love
- June 2, 2021: I Will Not Leave You Comfortless
- May 26, 2021: Celebrating Our Beginnings
- May 19, 2021: Before the Cannon Struck
- May 12, 2021: The Fruit of Jesus
- May 5, 2021: A Branch of Jesus
- April 28, 2021: Living One Day at a Time
- April 21, 2021: The Blessing of Pope Francis