In last Sunday’s Gospel, we heard again about ‘doubting Thomas,’ the disciple who needed to touch the wounds of the suffering Christ before he could believe in the Resurrection and believe that the Jesus he had known was still with them as the Risen Christ.
Lots of us find comfort in this story: a fellow human, an Apostle and a chosen one had doubts too! And he received reassurance.
The poet Malcolm Guite had another perspective. He called Thomas courageous; willing to be vulnerable in the pain of those confusing days when all hope seemed dashed.
Thomas asked the difficult questions that others were afraid to voice: Was Jesus really here among us still?
Do we too need to be open and vulnerable, present to Christ in our world in the midst of our confusion?
Must we touch the wounds of the suffering peoples of our world and the scars of our suffering Earth in order to be assured and move forward with courage to the day of Pentecost?
You can click here to read the full poem.
Sister Rosemary Fry
Previous Wisdom Wednesdays
- April 20, 2022: The Waiting
- April 13, 2022: Triumph in the Face of Evil
- April 6, 2022: An Invitation to Compassion
- March 30, 2022: Follow the Journey of Jesus
- March 23, 2022: Three Questions
- March 16, 2022: Preparing for the Future
- March 9, 2022: What is God Saying?
- March 2, 2022: Ash Wednesday
- February 23, 2022: Living Fully in the Present
- February 16, 2022: How Can I Not Judge?
- February 9, 2022: Centers of Care:
- January 26, 2022: A New Soul
- January 19, 2022: Pray for Unity
- January 12, 2022: Have You Heard the Voice of God?
- January 5, 2022: Epiphany
- November 3, 2021: Fallen Leaves and Saints
- October 20, 2021: All Saints Day & All Souls Day
- October 13, 2021: Blackwater Pond
- October 6, 2021: Death is Not Forever
- September 29, 2021: In Nature
- September 22, 2021: Sleeping in the Forest
- September 15, 2021: Season of Creation
- September 8, 2021: A Sharp Turn in Our Journey
- August 11, 2021: An Invitation From Jesus
- July 21, 2021: Cannonball Moments
- July 14, 2021: Consolation and Desolation
- July 7, 2021: Who is This God You Seek to Serve?
- June 30, 2021: Praying with the Gospel Stories
- June 23, 2021: Walking the Path of Life
- June 16, 2021: A Saint for Strong Willed People
- June 9, 2021: God's Flowing Love
- June 2, 2021: I Will Not Leave You Comfortless
- May 26, 2021: Celebrating Our Beginnings
- May 19, 2021: Before the Cannon Struck
- May 12, 2021: The Fruit of Jesus
- May 5, 2021: A Branch of Jesus
- April 28, 2021: Living One Day at a Time
- April 21, 2021: The Blessing of Pope Francis